Friday, September 28, 2012

Survival Skillz

I've learned many different things while dating that are key to survival and/or expedite the process.

Here they are - in no particular order, all experiences from online dating.

Practical assumptions/learnings:

1) Your date will always be heavier and/or older than any of their photos on the online dating site.

2) The same goes for height, usually they are shorter than they say in their profile.

3) Be prepared to pay for your own drink/lunch/dinner/coffee/app.

4) You will be asked to text naked photos to your prospective date (75% of the time).

5) If the guy does not ask you at least one question about yourself during the date, kick them to the curb.

6) If you're late 30's or early 40's be ready to receive messages from guys age 22-30, they want to brag to their friends they dated a cougar, among other things.

7) *Never* have more than one glass of wine while out on a date. Trust me on this one.

8) Read their online dating profile VERY carefully (even if some of it is made up), you could miss some big deal breakers and go on a date and the entire time be thinking, "crap, what a waste of time". For example, "I only smoke when I drink" will translate to chain smoker.

9)Always ask the guy to text you before the date. #10 explains why.

10) Always do a background check before your first or second date or if you get a bad vibe about the guy. You can do this by paying for a reverse phone number look up. It's about $12-$15.  Get it here:
https://www.intelius.com/reverse-phone-lookup.html

It gives you name, mailing address and email address, so you can internet stalk them and find them on facebook or twitter or google+ or whatevs.

11) The reason for #10 is that some people think it's cool to make up a name and occupation for different reasons.  I've had this happen twice.

12) Another thing I just remembered is that I've seen a lot of people list their age as younger than they are, sometimes they explain that they are older in their profile, and sometimes they just don't tell you. This is mostly because of the search parameters of the dating site. Most people will search for 35-45, so the guys who are 48 are out of luck. Hence their desire to lower their age, to get more views.

Hope this is enlightening.

Couple of notes:
I'm not the best writer, I know how to write a good English paper on Paradise Lost and a marketing plan, but this is my first time writing a blog. Writer and editor friends - I appreciate your patience. :)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post your experiences too, if you feel comfortable. I love to hear if other people have had the same sort of things happen to them.

xoxo




5 comments:

  1. Laura-- you are awesome! I'm adding you to my RSS feed. :-)
    P.S. I hear you get a lot of unsolicited penis photos!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add that in - yes, I receive nudie photos from men, without asking. It's unclear why. Penises aren't that amazing to look at.

      Delete
    2. Yuck...funny and sad. Next time (god I hope there isn't, but there will be), reply with a pithy "You're a dick!" Ba'bye.

      Delete
  2. your stories always amaze me. i think i've just lucked out in terms of my dates…or maybe i'm just impossibly picky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good lord...i'm attempting to re-publish this comment bc it crapped out on me the first time. So...what I was saying was that I didn't realize that backing up your phone meant that all images from text messages i received get saved...Well as I was perusing my backup files I noticed all these naked torso shots from dudes that sent me pictures (unsolicited!) back when I was online dating. It's always awkward having to respond to that...like,...what do you say, "thanks for the chest shot...i like your...chest..." Honestly, it's ridiculous..why do i care that you have a six pack or a giant tattoo, i haven't even gone out with you yet! And for f*ck's sake STOP LOOKING AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR...it's weird. ALSO, I'm nearly convinced that guys buy GQ magazines just to learn how to pose in front of the mirror to take themse pictures and send them out. ANYWAY...I also noticed I have about 45 crotch shot photos...like crotch shot of someone in jeans....WHY on earth would i want a shot of your bulge? And do you think it's more appropriate to do that since you have jeans on? NO. It's not. Okay ...that's my rant...for now.

    I will add that have a glass of wine before going on the date can be a good idea because it loosens you up and you can still stick to one drink on the date and be less uptight but still in the right mind. But yes, no more than 2 or 3 drinks. That just spells trouble and if you play darts...it's just dangerous :).

    Having said that...i can't wait to hear your accounts of dating :). Super excited because I love your writing and i love you...and miss you! Also, I think your gorgeous and if we were online dating i'd probably want nudies...so the moral of the story is..i can't blame 'em for asking!

    ReplyDelete